Saturday, February 16, 2013

Good Intentions

Well, I started this blog with the best intentions to start blogging regularly. Then, the semester from hell began. Last semester was my first semester of grad school and while some parts of it were stressful, my sanity remained intact and it ended with a 4.0 average.

I thought grad school was gonna be a piece of cake.

HA!

This semester, it feels as though I cannot get caught up! It may be that I'm also planning a wedding, but I'm constantly stressing, making lists, and since I'm a stress eater, searching for my next piece of chocolate — which is not good for a bride. Trying to diet already makes things ten times harder. Oh, and I'm trying to give up Diet Coke too! I'm probably not the most pleasant person to be around right now. :)

I was supposed to try on dresses this upcoming Saturday in Dallas, but I'm also going to a bridal show in Oklahoma City on Sunday, and I have some things due the next week. Needless to say, I've been stressing about it. Add on some other personal issues and let's just say I may or may have not lost it when I called my mother yesterday. Anyways, we're sticking to the plan and I'm not trying on dresses until spring break in March, which lowered my stress levels tremendously. And, I was also freaking out about trying dresses on in a week because I haven't really lost any weight. I've been indulging a little too much since, well, October. I know he loves me how I am, blah, blah, but I don't want to feel like Shamu maneuvering my way down the aisle on my wedding day.

I think maybe I just need to chill out, but I'm not sure I remember how to do that! Oh well. I now have four more weeks of classes to get through before I get to have a little bit of fun...then after that, it will only be five weeks until the end of the semester! Whoo.

This week has also been stressful because I'm trying to become more involved with Native American organizations (I'm Choctaw). Yes, I'm fully aware that I'm whiter than Casper the Friendly Ghost's rear end.

Anyways, Thursday was Valentine's Day and was also a meeting of Oklahoma State's Native American Student Association (NASA). I lost track of time and had to practically sprint across campus; I was still about three minutes late.

I walked in and everyone turned to look at me. I was the whitest person in the room, which is not uncommon at gatherings of the red man, but I quietly took a seat and realized I had walked in during the middle of introductions.

First of all, I hate that kind of stuff. If I want to tell everyone about myself, then I will. If I want to know about someone, I will ask.

Anyways, it was my turn and they explained that I needed to state my name, my tribe, my major, and my favorite pair of shoes.

Of course, I proudly stated that my favorite pair of shoes are my black stilettos. I smiled, but no approving looks were to be found. Instead, the other girls in the room just kind of looked at me, probably wondering who this white girl was that had infiltrated their powwow.

Every other girl said things such as, "Nikes," and "Keds," as their favorite shoes. Don't get me wrong; I freakin' love my Nikes, but favorite pair of shoes? Oh well. I left after I had swiped a bottle of water and a cookie with red and white sprinkles with a resolve to put on self-tanner before the next meeting.

I also met two girls from a Native American sorority the next night. They have a graduate chapter and I am strongly considering joining. When I met them though, one eyed me warily and asked, "What tribe are you?"

"Choctaw!" I replied with a big smile and whipped my high ponytail in an attempt to look more sorority-ish.

"Oh," she said. "Me too!"

Anyways, I'm on my way to joining a sorority, but my exfoliant and self-tanning lotion are on the counter, ready for use.







No comments:

Post a Comment